Who we are
The RA is an independent regulator established under the Regulatory Authority Act 2011. The RA has the power to supervise, monitor and regulate any regulated industry sector in accordance with the Regulatory Authority Act 2011, sectoral legislation and any regulations or policies made by the Minister.
What we do
The RA currently regulates the Electronic Communications, Electricity and Submarine Communication Cables sectors. Within its scope, the RA may make administrative determinations and has the power to issue adjudicative decisions and orders as appropriate.
- to promote and preserve competition
- to promote the interests of the residents and consumers of Bermuda
- to promote the development of the Bermudian economy, Bermudian employment and Bermudian ownership
- to promote innovation, and
- to fulfill any additional functions specified by sectoral legislation.
The RA's Vision and Values ensure the public interest is the core focus of the regulated sectors. The RA strives to achieve its objectives through a balanced focus on its top four priorities:
- Consumer/Stakeholder focus will ensure that the RA works to bring value to the community and its stakeholders.
- Internal Process focus will ensure that the RA consistently delivers and pursues continual improvement.
- Innovation, Learning and Growth focus will ensure that the RA develops the internal capacity to execute its mandate; and
- Financial Stewardship focus will ensure that the RA is operating with the financial wherewithal that is appropriate for a not-for-profit corporate entity.
The RA's team of subject matter experts conducts technological, economic and market analysis to provide the Board of Commissioners with robust, independent information for consideration in their decisions and rulings.
We follow principles such as:
- transparency of information and decision-making
- public consultation and participation