What are My Rights?
Consumers are entitled to the following statutory rights when entering into a service contract with a regulated Electricity or Electronic Communications provider.
In accordance with the Electronic Communications Act 2011, Part 5 Section 26, Part 14 of a Service Providers Licence, and the Electricity Act 2016, Part 7 Section 38, a service provider has obligations for consumer protection.
Click here to access the RA’s quarterly reports on consumer complaints.
It is the responsibility of service providers to always give accurate, sufficient and relevant information to guide consumers in making rational choices and informed decisions.
Right to access a variety of products and services at competitive prices.
The RA provides consumers with a process in which to express grievances, opinions, submit disputes and suggest ways for improving service delivery.
Rights and Responsibilities
Consumers Have the Right to:
- disclosure of price, terms and conditions of service.
- privacy expectation and protection of their records.
- responsive service and fair treatment.
- participate in the RA’s processes.
- accurate bills and redress.
- submit a dispute and expect a quick resolution of that dispute.
- reasonable requirements for service.
- be protected from market abuse through active oversight and enforcement.
What are My Responsibilities as a Consumer?
Consumer rights are best safeguarded when consumers fulfill their responsibilities. Specifically, consumers must:
- Ask for all the information about service offerings before you decide to purchase.
- Do your research and make informed decisions.
- Compare price and features before making a purchase.
- Understand your financial capability before entering into any contract.
- Read your contract terms and conditions carefully and strive to understand each individual clause before entering into the contract.
- Know when the contract expires.
- Be aware to not be coerced to subscribe to any unwanted service.
- Inform your service provider about your lost/stolen sim card.
- Inform your service provider about any changes in contact details or any changes in personal circumstances which would affect your contract.
- Ensure prompt payment of bills.
- Be aware of the usage tariffs of Value Added Services associated with your account prior to using such services.