1. Turn off the mobile data settings on your mobile phone:
Android Users – Swipe down from the top of the screen, select Settings, press Data Usage and move the Mobile Data switch from On to Off.
iPhone – Go into Settings and move the Mobile Data button from On to Off.Note: You will still be able to connect to the internet and use apps as normal if you are connected to a Wi-Fi network.
2. Connect your mobile phone to Wi-Fi at home and in public spaces whenever possible.
3. Set a data usage limit on your mobile phone that is the same as your monthly data plan from your service provider:
Android Users – Open your Settings, select Data Usage and toggle the Set Mobile Data Limit. If the date shown is different to the day your allowance refreshes, tap on this and select Change Cycle. Two lines will appear on a graph – one that specifies a limit to your data and the other, which lets you set a warning when you are approaching your data limit.
iPhone – Go to Settings, click on Mobile Data and move the Wi-Fi Assist button from On to Off, as well as turn off data for any apps you are not currently using (see below).
4. Monitor the apps that are running on your mobile phone and restrict background data access for all unnecessary apps:
Android Users – Swipe to open Settings, tap Data Usage and select the app(s) you don’t want to have connected to mobile data, then select Restrict App Background Data.
iPhone – Choose Settings and go to Mobile Data, then select the app(s) you want to restrict from accessing mobile data and slide the button from On to Off.
5. Turn off the synchronised app options that you don’t use often:
Android Users – Swipe down to open Settings and select Accounts (or Users & Accounts), then choose Account Sync and turn off the apps that you don’t want to automatically synchronise.
iPhone – Go to Settings and tap on your name/picture shown at the top (Apple ID, iCloud, iTunes & App Store), then select iCloud and under Apps Using iCloud section, turn off the switch in front of all the apps where you do not want to use synchronised data.
6. Only use Wi-Fi when updating apps on your mobile phone.
7. Limit your use of streaming services when not connected to Wi-Fi – e.g. online music, videos, movies and tv shows.